Outside In is partnering with The Harley Gallery in Nottinghamshire for a new exhibition ‘Kindred Spirits’ that will display from Saturday 20 November 2021 until Sunday 6 February 2022.
The project will include an exhibition showcasing both the Jerwood Collection and Outside In’s own collection of Outsider Art. As part of the project, Outside In will also deliver a Step Up Curating Exhibitions course. The course will cover the basics of putting together an exciting and imaginative display. It will encourage group thinking and discussion and will include playful practical tasks to help participants in questioning their own and others’ ideas in a safe and supportive space.
In applying for this Curating Exhibitions course, artists will need to reside in the Midlands. Outside In, encourages applications from artists who will explore collections and displays in new ways and think about ‘Kindred Spirits’ as having a commonality in unexpected places, to question identity(s) and approaches to curatorial practice and challenge the role of the curator whilst exploring the inaccessible in an inclusive space.
The course will be delivered at Harley Gallery by an experienced course tutor(s) and will take place across four sessions with six artists. Participants will explore themes in both collections that will be used to develop the design and interpretation of the display and overall exhibition.
Workshop dates are:
- Tuesday 3 August (Harley Gallery, Worksop Nottinghamshire)
- Friday 13 August (Artspace Coventry)
- (Homework in between)
- Tuesday 2 September (Artspace Coventry)
- Tuesday 7 September (Harley Gallery, Worksop Nottinghamshire)
- There will also be visits to current displays in Coventry over the two dates.
- Deadline for artist/curator applications is 5pm Monday 26 July 2021.
Participants from across the Midlands are welcome to apply. (There are some small funds for travel for all artists attending workshops at the Harley Gallery)
Applicants must also be an Outside In artist or meet the charity’s criteria of facing significant barriers to the art world due to health, disability, or social circumstances.
- To apply, please fill in the application form below and send it to Hub Programme Manager, Midlands email@example.com by Monday 26 July at 5pm. Please include ‘Kindred Spirits Application’ in the subject box.
Outside In is also happy to provide the application form in a range of formats, including:
- Easy Read
- Large Text
Please let us know if you have any access requirements.
If you have any questions about this opportunity please contact Outside In’s Regional Artist Development Coordinator, José Forrest on 07946 997 333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interviews will be held via Zoom on Friday 30 July 2021.